Disney=Life

Disney=Life

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Making Magic!

So I want to start on the 30 day photo challenge but feel it would be really stupid  to do that before I have finished this challenge :-P so, onward!
Day #9: ((yayy almost halfway through!))
 Your favorite original character (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, etc.)


Yes it' cliche but Mickey has always been and will always be my favorite! I still get giddy when I see him and he is my boss fer cryin out loud! ;-)  Jason and I went to the closing of ToonTown and Mickey and Minnie were both there and we both just turned into little kids! AND, at my Traditions class, Mickey came in to give us our nametags. It was so freakin awesome to have him welcoming us into the company! ((Plus, we were playing some trivia games where the winner would win a "critter", a little plastic statue of the original characters. There was one left and Mickey wanted to present it, being it was a tiny Mickey Mouse. I answered the question and got the critter and a hug from Mickey. It was extremely magical! I wish I had gotten a picture because I was close to tears. I called Mom afterwards and said "yep, that is why I am here! To have some amazingly magical experiences just like that one!" 

So speaking of magical experiences, I have yet to share some of my incredible stories from the Seas. 
Well, I called my mom up the other day and just told her how much I am loving it here. Sure I have those days where I want to say "screw it, I'm going home"--who doesn't have those days?! But when you see a kid smile, it's all so totally worth it. So I am proud to say I have been a part of some of those magical moments...
So we have these things called Guest Service Fanatic, where if a co-worker (or guest) sees you doing something especially special (going above and beyond...one of our key points at Disney) then they can award you a GSF. Not only does it go on your record card and look really good, you enter it into a drawing for lots of prizes, every week. I've gotten 2 GSF's; the first was right after I started, I was working Greeter (standing outside and welcoming people, occasionally pin trading) and I saw a family sitting on the wall near me. The little boy was about 4 and he went down onto the curb so hard and started crying. I ran over to see if he was ok, asked if he needed medical attention, etc. Well First Aid is clear across the park, poor parents didn't really want to take him there. He only had a little scratch on his head but was crying pretty bad so I recommended some ice from the restaurant around the corner. (They gave him a Mickey Mouse glove with ice in it!) So long story shortened, I was working Greeter later that night when I saw them coming back. I waved to the little guy, asked him how he was doing, and how his head felt. The parents couldn't believe I recognized him and we talked for a little bit before they went inside the building. I got my break a few mins later so I ran upstairs to the breakroom where we keep Mickey stickers. I grabbed one (explained to my co-workers what I was doing as I was looking for the stickers) and ran downstairs to find the kid. Luckily, they were in the loading area waiting for Turtle Talk to start. I gave him the sticker and his face lit up. His parents just thanked me and said "it's people like you who make it worth coming to this place" (that made me nearly cry!) I ran back upstairs to enjoy the rest of my break and the girls presented me with a GSF for going above and beyond and helping a guest. It was a magical moment for me :-D

My next magical moment was in Turtle Talk. We get a lot of special needs children, Make A Wish children, etc. It is incredible to see those kids smiling the most incredible thing ever. So I was hosting Turtle Talk and there is a little boy who is in a rolling bed with a tube. Can hardly speak but he looks so excited to talk to Crush. Crush will usually see children off to the side in wheelchairs or something and call on them first. He picked Reese first and talked to him for a minute, then went onto the other kids. Well long story shortened, I was working the show a few days later and Reese and his family had come back. It was their last day and Reese wanted to see Crush again. Crush recognized him and said "Hey I know that kid! It's Reese! Hi Reese!" and Reese just laughed and giggled and was smiling the whole time. His mother was in tears, it was so fantastic. She came up to me afterwards and was thanking me and told me to thank everyone involved. "This has been the most amazing experience of his life, thanks to Disney cast members." 
:-D

Disney might just be a tourist spot for most but we make magic here! And I am a part of that magic now. 
Hope my friends back home read this cause this is mainly for you...so you can see how happy I am, making dreams come true everyday
:-D

til next time, *faith*trust*and pixie dust!
<3<3<3

No comments:

Post a Comment