Disney=Life

Disney=Life

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year/ Day 2..

Haha, yeah I didn't think this 30 day challenge would work out cause I can hardly get on the internet. But it's ok, I'm having fun! So day 2 is...

Day #2: Your favorite princess: Ariel
 ((Part of your World Reprise is like one of my favorite Disney songs of all time--so beautiful!))

 Well, this is kinda a repeat. Everything said about Ariel the first time goes for this answer too. lol. I think I was a mermaid in a past life...but I was involved in this really great project my senior year of college called "The Chance to Dream". The director took a small group of students (of very different backgrounds and social groups and such) and interviewed us for several weeks. It was mainly about our dreams, our future goals, our past, how we got into theatre, that sort of thing. She took our stories and made a script about it. It was SO much fun. We had to pair up and as we told our story, our partner had to come up with movements to help tell the story. Before our final presentation, we paired up with our partners and our partner had to tell our story (before we did) and tell what they like about it, etc. My partner was my good friend Jason (Gerhard) and he said the most awesome thing.
 "My favorite thing about AniKa is that she is always dreaming. We all think she's crazy and we all make fun of her but I envy her so much because she will never give up her dreams and will never really stay on land...she's always floating away, one way ot the other. I envy that".
 My story was about how my mom gave me a fin when I was really little and I didn't take it off for weeks. I walked around in it, and when I was at home, I "swam" through my carpet :-) As I grew up, my fin kind of disappeared for a bit as I learned to walk (wobbly, like Ariel) through life but sometimes I jump back in that water and my fin grows back. I love the metaphor we came up with and I LOVED the movements he did for my story, they were beautiful. So that's another thing about my favorite princess and about me :-)

 So HAPPY NEW YEAR! 2011, wow I feel old. lol. New Years was pretty laid back, actually. Not a big party, just a few close friends. We brought in the new year popping those confetti poppers and making a hell of a mess in the living room floor. But we had a great time. Nikki came into town for a few days and it was so wonderful to just catch up with her. I had dinner with a group from high school (middle school really!) and it was amazing to see how much has changed and how much we've grown up. 4 of us have tattoos, one is married, one is getting married, one is talking about kids, one is trying to get a job out of town....it's incredible.

 So, thinking about 2010. Some of my favorite memories....

--visiting Disneyworld with my best friend. (I took him for his birthday). We had so much fun and we both decided we had to work there.
--my first community theatre show. The Crucible--my favorite play of all time, I played an amazing role and learned so much. I had a blast. (and I got to hang every night! How cool is that, lol)
--The Shadowbox. The most fun role I have ever done, one I want to play again one day. I got to show the department I was not just a little innocent princess--I could play a freak if I wanted. lol
--Even though it was so hard and not a great memory, it's still memorable. Helping Jason. He had a major knee injury and surgery in December and he spent awhile on crutches and went to physical therapy. His confidence fell and he had a hard time being happy for awhile. I have to say, I did everything I could to be the best friend I could be and do think I succeeded. I made him laugh, we had some great times...that's all that matters. He overcame it with the help of his family but I think I had a small part in it too :-)
--Mertz Awards. I won "Most Improved in the Department". Whoa, such a huge honor for me. Even though it was just a department award, it was my peers that voted and thought I had improved!
--Summer Youth Conservatory at Playhouse on the Square. I was an assistant but loved every minute of it. Loved working with the kids and being around them when they became actors! It was incredible to watch the transformations!
--Going back to Orlando in August to search for an apartment. Jason and I had made the decision we were moving there and we were exploring the city for the first time. We also went to WWOHP. AMAZING!
--Getting accepted into the Disney College Program! And then getting a phone call from Jason saying he was acccepted too! We got our purple folders on the same day.
--John and Jen. Such an unbelievable experience. One that made me realize I loved directing and I would love to try it again one day. Such a proud moment for me when people I respected and loved came up to me and said it brought tears to their eyes or that I had a real talent for the art. I was so unbelievably proud of Jason and Christina. It was a beautiful show.
--Speaking of Christina, rooming with her. We didn't know each other extremely well but she became one of my closest friends and confidantes, as well as the best roomate I've ever had. We had our differences but overall, she was incredible. Lots of fun memories in the house :-)
--Going back to Orlando in October for a few days--spending time with some entertainment people and having a blast around the park. We had a great night at Cole's the night before we left, we all gathered at his house, ordered pizza and watched a Tinkerbell movie. Then we walked around his neighborhood and just talked. They were some incredible people and I can't wait to be able to have more nights like that.
--And finally, graduating college Magna Cum Laude. My mom and Jason were there to see me walk and I graduated with two of my close friends from high school. It was such a huge honor (neither of my parents have graduated, though Mom has 2 more classes!) and I'm glad I decided to walk.

 2010 has been a wonderful year. I can't wait to see what adventures 2011 will bring!

:-D

No comments:

Post a Comment